Pages

Sunday, April 12, 2026

Spontaneous Vinyl Find: Ma Fleur by The Cinematic Orchestra

When I headed down to the SSO Book & Music Sale this afternoon, as I often do once spring rolls around, I did not expect to find one of my favourite albums, Ma Fleur by The Cinematic Orchestra, sitting unassumingly on the record shelf. I didn't even have to flip through any—it was right in front.

Back in 2010, I bought Ma Fleur on CD. This was during the Easter break, when my parents took my brother, cousin, and me to Sunshine Village ski resort in Banff, Alberta. I'm certain I bought it at HMV, but I'm not sure if it was at a mall in Banff or elsewhere.

I don't remember hearing any of The Cinematic Orchestra's songs before buying Ma Fleur. I must have been browsing the electronic section of the CDs and liked the cover (or some intuitive reason like that). It is a great album cover after all. The picture reminds me of Saskatchewan, even though the band is from London, England. In particular, the picture reminds me of driving down some back roads in Martensville, where my dad first taught me and my brother how to drive.

As the picture on the album cover suggests, Ma Fleur is quiet, contemplative, peaceful, and beautiful. I don't know of another album quite like it.